FRIday, April 18, 2014
-- Alexander Steen scored 26 seconds into the third overtime Thursday night to give the Blues a 4-3 win over the Chicago Blackhawks in game one of their playoff series.It was the longest game in franchise history, breaking the mark of 37:07 set on April 7, 1984 at Detroit.
- The Blues trailed 3-2 before a goal by Jaden Schwartz with 1:45 to play in the third period sent the game to overtime. Ryan Miller, after allowing the three Chicago goals in the first period, made 35 saves, including 21 in the first two overtime periods.
- Game two of the series will be Saturday afternoon at Scottrade Center.
- The University of Missouri began a search for a new basketball coach today after Frank Haith left the Tigers to become the head coach at the University of Tulsa. Athletic Director Mike Alden said the Tigers did not have a time frame for hiring a new coach.
- Adam Wainwright pitched a two-hit shutout and Matt Adams drove in three runs as the Cardinals beat the Nationals 8-0 Thursday night in Washington. .
- The Cardinals on Thursday placed pitcher Joe Kelly on the disabled list after he suffered a hamstring injury on Wednesday. The club also optioned Keith Butler to Memphis and promoted right-handers Eric Fornataro and Jorge Rondon from the Triple A club.