Sunday, March 9, 2014
- The Cardinals officially announced the signing of third baseman Matt Carpenter to a six-year contract worth a reported $52 million on Saturday. The deal also includes a club option for a seventh season in 2020.
- On the field, the Cardinals and Nationals played to a 4-4, 10-inning tie. Trevor Rosenthal made his first appearance of the spring and pitched a scoreless inning. Michael Wacha allowed one run in his three innings of work. The Cardinals and Nationals play again today, this time in Viera, with Joe Kelly getting the start on the mound.
- The Blues got goals from David Backes and Patrik Berglund while Ryan Miller stopped 26 of 27 Colorado shots to beat the Avalanche 2-1 Saturday in Colorado for their fourth consecutive victory. The team will conclude a three-game road trip tonight in Minnesota.
- The Saint Louis University Billikens will try to snap a three-game losing streak today in their final game before the Atlantic 10 conference tournament when they play at the University of Massachusetts. The Billikens need a win to clinch the outright conference regular-season title.
- Missouri saw its hopes for an NCAA tournament bid take a hit on Saturday with a 72-45 loss at Tennessee. The Tigers scored only 19 points in the first half in their final game before the SEC tournament next week.
- Undefeated Wichita State will play Indiana State today for the championship of the Missouri Valley tournament at Scottrade Center.