Sunday, March 9, 2014
- The Cardinals signed free agent Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz to a major-league contract Sunday and said he will report to the team's spring training facility in Jupiter, Fla. on Monday. Diaz, who signed a four-year deal, had worked out for the Cardinals on Feb. 19.
- On the field the Cardinals were pounded 11-1 by the Nationals in Viera, Fla. Joe Kelly and Seth Maness had rough days on the mound and the offense managed only three hits, two by Allen Craig.
- The Cardinals will host the Detroit Tigers in Jupiter on Monday, with St. Louis native Max Scherzer set to start against Shelby Miller.
- T.J. Oshie and Alexander Steen scored in the shootout to give the Blues a 3-2 win at Minnesota Sunday night. It was the fifth win in a row by the Blues, who now have the most points in the NHL this season with 94. Oshie has converted 8 of 11 shots in shootouts this season. Brian Elliott got the win in goal.
- Jordair Jett hit a layup in the final seconds to give Saint Louis University a 64-62 win over UMass on Sunday. The win snapped a three-game losing streak and secured the outright Atlantic 10 conference title for the Billikens for the second consecutive year.
- Wichita State completed a 34-0 season with a win over Indiana State Sunday in the championship game of the Missouri Valley Conference tournament at Scottrade Center.